Blog Here?

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Giving Back to the Community

People are quick to tell someone else what they're doing, or what they're not doing. How often do people evaluate themselves, and try to find room for improvement? I'm also guilty of this. I feel as if i'm an upstanding citizen, but sometimes it's not enough. I haven't done community service since I was in high school, and even then our school had a mandatory 40 hours of community service to graduate rule, so it's not like I did it out of the kindness of my heart. It's time I evaluate myself, and my grade is a "D".  I didn't give myself a "F" because I'm a good citizen.  I don't start trouble, I donate to the homeless, and I help others when I can.  Even though my grade isn't a "F", I still have tons of room for improvement.
Things i used to say: I want to walk/run a marathon for Breast Cancer Awareness. (Even though I've shown my support for the cause by buying everything from (BCA) t-shirts, tote bags, and an umbrella, it doesn't take away from the fact that I haven't walked the marathon.  I wanted to talk to inner-city kids about how important the decisions they make now can impact their future.  But of course this never became a reality.  I visited my old elementary school last year when I just moved back to Chicago from Las Vegas, and had a talk with the principal, who said she needed me to speak to the students because they were just out of hand.  At the time I was just concerned with finding employment that I put it on the back burner.  Now I regret it.  Especially seeing children around the city, and how they talk and act, and how little respect they have for adults and authority.  My words of wisdom can't save the world, but it could of done something.
I will work harder at being a better me, a more helpful, caring, sharing, motivating individual who's not self-centered and doesn't just care about things that affect me. What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to be 90 years old and realize that I didn't give anything to the world.  Just a user of the world's resources.

4 comments:

Bonn Group said...

Check out the “Black Online News Network” (BONN) www.thebonngroup.com . BONN is the largest network of online news portals to date targeted to African Americans. Its current digital network consists of 100 unique and interconnected web sites covering a wide range of today’s hottest topics on the radars of African Americans worldwide.

Buy Contact Lenses said...

Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

Acuvue Moist Contact Lens said...

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

GST Impact Analysis said...

Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

Post a Comment